Location: Charlene Johnson’s Home ~ Summerfield
The meeting was called to order by Commodore, Art Twitchell, after a wonderful dinner of chili and sides. A huge THANKS to our gracious host this evening, Charlene Johnson!
Congratulations to the lucky winners of the 50/50 Raffle! Wayne was the extra lucky winner tonight ~ his ticket numbers were drawn 4 times!
- Jan Schumacher Scratch-Off Ticket
- Wayne Birkenmeyer Scratch-Off Ticket
- Ed Sims OBRS Burgee
- Wayne Birkenmeyer $$ Cash
Our newest members were introduced ~ welcome to the group!
- Mary Schneider from Bird Island, Lake Weir
- Jim and Lisa Edens from Gainesville
Art Twitchell discussed the recent intra-lake Regatta’s and the success our sailing competitors had. We had sailors trophy in both the LMSA Trans-Monroe Regatta and the GAYC Shamrock Regatta. Congratulations OSC Sailors!
Kathy Olbekson presented the Treasurer’s Report. After recent transactions our accounts total $2,439.02.
Jan Schumacher read a recap of the Regatta schedule from last month’s Meeting Minutes. There was discussion about the following items:
- Jamaica Radio Coverage: Lynn Sims will follow-up with Ian Gibson for details and contact friend, Chris, for radio requirements.
- We will skip our usual monthly Pot Luck Dinner Meeting on the 3rd Thursday of the month (which was originally scheduled for April 17th at Tom and Lynn Barrett’s home) and have a Pre-Regatta Party for the early arrivals on Thursday, April 24th at Skip and Lou Archibald’s Double-Turtle Bar and Grill. Chicken with Jamaican spices on the grill will be on the menu.
- There was discussion about renting coffee thermos’ because there is no electricity in the Pavilion area at Carney Island Park. Skip and Lou are planning to handle the morning coffee requirements at the Regatta on Saturday and Sunday.
- Jan Schumacher has contacted Waypoint Nautical News for Regatta coverage in their publication. They will plan to take photo’s at our Regatta.
- Joan Bernat has sent out an “eblast” to Sailing Clubs in the Central Florida area promoting our Regatta and has also volunteered to take photo’s during the Regatta.
- Paul Bernat has offered to provide radio control communications for our Regatta. VHF radio’s have been used in the past and worked well. Art will follow-up with Paul to determine the best method of communication.
New Business ~ Napkin Nominations for the 2014-2015 OSC Officers: The following nominees were nominated at the March Buccaneer Night and elected by majority vote this evening:
- Commodore Art Twitchell
- Vice Commodore Charlene Johnson
- Race Commodore Ken Renfro
- Secretary Ross Martin
- Treasurer Jan Cole
- Webmaster Jan Schumacher
Congratulations to all ~ the Officer Induction will be held in May at Ed and Lynn Sims home.
The April Buccaneer Night will be held at Francesco’s Ristorante in Summerfield on April 3, 2014 at 6:30 PM.
Charlene Johnson discussed her recently published book about the History of the Thoroughbred Industry in Marion County. She if offering signed copies to our OSC members for $15!
The OSC Meeting was adjourned and the OBRS Meeting began.
Wayne currently has the gavel . . . but there was strong evidence this evening that Jim Edens may have committed a worthy “gavel offense” recently by slipping on a dock and ending up with a black eye! Will Jim be taking home the gavel soon???
The OBRS Meeting was adjourned . . . thanks again to Charlene Johnson for hosting a wonderful evening!